Woven Vinyl Boat Flooring
Woven vinyl boat flooring is an attractive alternative to other boat flooring types like carpet, nonskid, sheet vinyl, and EVA foam. The fabric is UV stable, easy to clean, and available in a variety of colors for many different boat shapes and sizes. » Read More
Woven Vinyl Boat Flooring Basics
Woven vinyl flooring is a textile woven from PVC. This flooring tends to be longer lasting than traditional carpet because of the materials it is made of, but it’s easier to clean than foam decking. The textured surface provides great slip resistance, the vinyl fibers provide anti-microbial properties, and the heavy-duty felt backing specifically made for boat flooring provides a healthy amount of cushion for underfoot comfort.
SupremeVinyl™ by North River Limited is a woven marine vinyl flooring product made for both indoor and outdoor use that has commercial-grade traffic, stain resistance, slip resistance, and mold/mildew resistance. It is widely used in both marine and RV applications and is available in dozens of colors and patterns to match your boat. SupremeVinyl™ boat flooring comes in rolls 8’6” wide to span the floor width of most trailerable recreational boats.
Woven vinyl flooring is a great option for a boat that needs a facelift or update, but you would like a cost-effective option. This flooring is good-looking and still very functional, stain-resistant, and slip-resistant. If you’re considering foam decking or replacing the carpet on your boat, marine-grade woven vinyl flooring might be an even better option. It comes in a variety of colors and is easy to install, clean up, and maintain.
The first consideration when considering new flooring for your boat should be the durability of the product. Woven vinyl Marine flooring is sturdy and holds up great against UV rays, foot traffic, and marine environments.
Pros of Woven Vinyl Flooring
- Easy to Clean: Very stain resistant and easy to clean. This is not the case with most boat flooring as they tend to absorb oil, blood, food stains, etc., and specialty cleaners must be used.
- Non-skid: Combines a sleek low-profile design with a woven-in texture to prevent slipping.
- Anti-microbial: Aanti-microbial and will avoid becoming inundated with mold or mildew.
- UV and Chemical Resistant: The material is resistant to fading with time or chemical cleaning because of the nature of the materials used (PVC).
- Waterproof: Unlike traditional carpet, woven vinyl is made from waterproof strands. Water that finds its way onto your flooring will quickly evaporate and not soak in.
- Longer Lifespan: Expected to last 10 years or more as compared to foam decking which is typically a 3–5-year lifespan.
Cons of Woven Vinyl Flooring
- Limited Cushioning and Insulation: Compared to some other flooring types, woven vinyl provides minimal cushioning and insulation. It may not be as comfortable as other types like foam decking or thick carpet.
- Heat Retention: Woven vinyl tends to retain heat when exposed to direct sunlight and can become slightly uncomfortable when hot to the touch. This could also contribute to a hotter cabin environment on the boat. However, SupremeVinyl™ is less hot underfoot than traditional vinyl and water will quickly cool the surface.
- Installation: Installing woven vinyl can be difficult for a DIY project and achieving a seamless look may require more time and expertise.
The best applications for woven vinyl flooring are smooth, clean, and flat flooring. Wax or glossy paint can prevent the adhesive from sufficiently bonding to the material. Uneven surfaces should be smooth or filled until it's a completely flat surface.
Woven vinyl flooring can also be installed over wood that does not have wax or other agents and will take about 24 hours to fully cure. In preparation for installation, it is recommended that woven vinyl is set out to relax for 24 hours to ensure proper adherence to the surface.
Most people opt to install woven vinyl flooring using an adhesive backing that makes it a permanent installation. However, it is also possible to install the flooring using a snap-in-place flooring design. This installation is usually more expensive, but it allows the flooring to be removed from the boat when not in use or if you would like to clean underneath the mats.
This can extend the lifespan of the flooring even further since it won’t be constantly exposed to the elements outside. Snap-in installation is also much easier and cleaner since there isn’t a need for glue and the fabric can be moved slightly after the initial installation, which leaves flexibility if an error was made.
With SupremeVinyl™, it is simply recommended to vacuum and hose fabrics off when they become dirty. This will prevent the dirt from becoming deeply embedded in the fabric. If a thorough cleaning is needed, then mild soap and detergents are recommended.
General or Light Cleaning
First, brush off or vacuum loose dirt away from the surface of the flooring. A water hose can also be used to wash away the dirt and stains, and if needed, a solution of water and mild soap (e.g., dish soap) can be used. Once mixed, a soft bristle brush should be used to clean and then rinsed until all soap residue is removed. The flooring will quickly air dry and the process can be repeated if needed.
Heavy Cleaning for Stubborn Stains and Mildew
SupremeVinyl™ fabrics are antimicrobial and will prevent the growth of mold and mildew on the flooring; however, mildew can grow on dirt not removed from the fabric. To fight this, prepare a solution of bleach, mild soap, and water.
The stains should be area treated with a sponge or towel and then thoroughly rinsed and left to air dry. The vinyl flooring will not be affected by the bleach, but other fabrics may be stained by the chemical, so be sure to properly protect anything that may be stained.
Woven marine vinyl flooring is a durable and visually appealing option for boat flooring. It offers many advantages over other flooring options without sacrificing too much. With its heavy-duty felt backing, it even provides cushioning for adequate comfort.
In addition, it is very easy to maintain and clean, without worrying about mildew or mold growth. Regular vacuuming and hosing of the flooring will prevent dirt build-up, and soap and water can be used for general, low-involvement cleaning. This makes woven vinyl flooring a great choice for many boaters!
Overall, woven vinyl flooring is a great functional and aesthetically pleasing choice for boat flooring. It has many great benefits of durability, easy maintenance, stain resistance, and fading resistance. All of which are very important in a marine environment. By choosing woven vinyl flooring you will have the benefits of the flooring for years to come
Need More Help Deciding? Give us a call!
For the last 40+ years, we’ve perfected the art of upgrading boats and helping boaters better enjoy their time on the water. If you have a question about a product or project give us a call! Our team of experts is here to help!